Okay, so I haven’t posted in MONTHS because I’ve been working on my National Board Teacher Certification. Just took my six exams on Thursday, so I finally have time to get back to this–what I really enjoy! This summer’s travel will give me lots of opportunities to post about food & cooking, and this is a start.
So, Hannah is headed to Germany as an exchange student for a year–the fulfillment of an amazing dream for her–and to say Bon Voyage, we hosted an Italian-Trattoria-themed Bon Voyage. Italian because it’s fairly easy to prepare, and because it’s a romantic memory of her trip with her mother to Italy in summer ’10.
I originally intended to have three long banquet tables in the yard with a beverage buffet, but rain in the forecast thwarted those plans! Thank-goodness the rental company allowed me to revamp my rental order at the last minute (because, seriously, there’s NO WAY I had room for 58 chairs in the house!). We converted the garage into a rustic (RUSTIC) bistro, and we converted the menu from hors d’oevres & pastas to heavy hors d’oevres. Fortunately, I made five kinds of italian cookies were made weeks in advance & stored in the freezer, so I didn’t have to think about those…
The *RUSTIC* garage bistro:
- Small cups of rotini pasta with shimp in a lemon-cream sauce (with a fork…for standing-room-only consumption).
- Crostini with goat cheese, carmelized onions & honey
- Bell peppers stuffed with ricotta, parmesan, baby peas, proscuitto & pine nuts, then baked.
- Deviled eggs
- Cured meats
- Antipasti (roasted bell peppers, olives, artichoke hearts)
- Boursin & rosemary crackers
- Walnuts sauteed in olive oil with salt & pepper
- Crusty bread with rosemary& garlic-infused olive oil for dipping.
- Traditional Biscotti dipped in dark chocolate & drizzled with white chocolate
- Chocolate-Hazelnut Tart
- Pine-nut cookies
- Orange and Nut Squares
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze
- Apple & Mint Punch
- Passion-tea Lemonade (just buy the Passion Tea box at Starbucks–the recipe is on the side)
- Pellegrino with lemons
- Wine & beer